Monday, April 2, 2012

Shotgun Thought Pattern Update 1



I'm revisiting the Old Testament because I read in Hebrews that we ought to know the "elementary principles of the oracles of God" and I read in Romans that the "Oracles of God" refers to the prophets of Israel.  It only recently clicked that a ton of the Bible is about a solid little couple-hundred-year chunk of the history of Israel (and Judah).  These prophets know each other. 

Now, I've been a Christian since I was born, (upon you, O Lord I was cast since birth) but sometimes this stuff I've heard all my life just suddenly hits me in the mouth like a stick at an unjust trial, and the words of the prophets and the words of the Lord echo in my mind "ears to hear, never hearing." 

It is like I have to sneeze, so I rear back and huff and huff, my nose tickles with expectancy, and then I just sit that way for 5 years.  I am so used to needing to sneeze, that I don't even remember what it feels like to be free of the sneeze, whether before or after.  Then WHAAAchoo, all this stored up phlegm gets knocked loose.  "OH YEAH!" I exclaim, "That's what it feels like!" 

Anyway, I am having a lot of fun learning about King Asa and his foot disease, which he didn't seek the Lord about.  Good guy though.  I'm enjoying Psalms 10 and 34 tonight.  Me and the wife are going to study Isaiah together.  Once I feel like I have swept back through the old books, and I have some elementary principles down, I am going to come at the gospels, acts, and epistles.  Hopefully with the same mindset those Jewish Bible nerds had when they wrote the things. (Inspired by the same Spirit who inspired the Hebrew Bible).

No comments:

Post a Comment